The North American cabinet market continues to grow, and cabinet makers in the FDMC 300 group of companies again saw sales gains.
Some of the largest percentage gains came from mid-sized companies on the FDMC 300 list, but larger companies also saw stronger sales in 2017.
Overall, sales for the FDMC 300 group of companies increased 5.4% in 2017 from a year earlier to $52.209 billion.
This group of the 300 largest North American manufacturers of cabinetry, joinery, furniture and accessories recorded a sixth consecutive year of sales expansion in 2017.
A year earlier, sales of the FDMC 300 group of companies increased 5% in 2016 to $48.786 billion. (We’ve adjusted the 2017 figure to $51.409 billion to compare to the prior year, as there were significant additions and subtractions to the list of companies.)
KCMA: cabinet sales gain 3%
According to the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association’s Monthly Business Trends Survey, participating cabinet manufacturers reported sales totaling $6.9 billion for 2017. This represents a 2.9% increase from 2016. Equity sales increased 3%; semi-custom sales increased by 3.7% and personalized sales decreased by 0.3%.
KCMA also reported that December 2017 sales increased by 3.9% compared to December 2016. For this month, stock sales increased by 3%, semi-custom sales increased by 6.1% and personalized sales increased by 0.4% compared to December 2016.
Survey participants include stock, semi-custom, and custom companies whose combined sales represent approximately 70% of the US kitchen cabinet and bathroom vanity market.
The largest cabinet manufacturers
Here is a summary of the largest cabinet manufacturers in North America.
1. MasterBrand Cabinets. Our cabinet segment sales estimate ($2.450 billion) was based on reported sales for the third quarter of 2017. Final sales for 2017 were $2.467 million, an increase of 3% over 2016.
The company is part of Fortune Home & Security and manufactures fully assembled, semi-custom and custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets; with frameless RTA.
There are 16 total manufacturing sites, including six former Norcraft sites: Newton, Kansas; Cottonwood, Minnesota; Liberty, North Carolina; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Lynchburg, Virginia; and Winnipeg, MB.
2. American Woodmark. The Winchester, Va.-based company manufactures custom and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinetry. The $1.03 billion figure is based on the company’s fiscal year. Sales increased by 9%.
American Woodmark Corp. earlier announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement and merger plan with RSI Home Products, Inc., another leading manufacturer of kitchen and bath cabinets and home storage products. The acquisition would move American Woodmark from the third largest cabinet maker in the United States to the second largest.
3.Masco Corp. The $950 million sales estimate was based on third-quarter cabinet segment sales and company information. Final fiscal year 2017 sales were reported in February 2018 at $934 million, down 4% from 2016.
The company manufactures assembled and ready-to-assemble kitchen and bathroom cabinets, as well as other room cabinets.
Masco has eight manufacturing plants in Middlefield and Orwell, Ohio; Los Lunas, New Mexico; Culpeper and Mt. Jackson, Virginia; Wilson, Pennsylvania; Mount Sterling, Kentucky; and Duncanville, Texas.
Excluding the impact of the divestment of UK-based Masco’s Moores Furniture Group in the fourth quarter, net sales were down 1%. Cabinetry Products also expanded its KraftMaid brand into the repair and remodel market, and late in the fourth quarter they began rolling out a new retail program with their Cardell brand of cabinetry.
4.IRS. RSI was acquired by American Woodmark in December. The deal was expected to close in 2018. RSI manufactures stock and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinetry, stock and semi-custom bath vanities, and cultured marble countertops. RSI had estimated annual sales of $560 million for 2017 and 3,500 employees.
RSI has become one of the largest value-added cabinetmakers in North America.
5. Elkay manufacturing. Cabinet brands include Mastercraft, Medallion, Schuler, Yorktowne, American, and Design-Craft. The company manufactures semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinetry in six locations: Aurora, Colorado; Culver, Indiana; New Ulm and Waconia, Minnesota; Independence, Oregon; and Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania.
Elkay Manufacturing announced that it would cease manufacturing cabinets at the company’s facility in Ringgold, Virginia. The news follows the company’s decision to halt production of the InnerMost Cabinet line, sold exclusively at Home Depot.
6. AC products. Communication after the compilation of the 2017 FDMC 300 indicated that the company would have approximately $321 million in sales, taking into account the acquisition of Smart Cabinetry. The company operates factories in Thompsontown and Mount Union, Pennsylvania, and employs 1,000 people.
7. Priority groups. The company is a manufacturer and importer, and manufactures bathroom vanities and shelves for Wal-Mart. Revenue of $150 million is our estimate.
8. Cabinet Wellborn Inc. Sales were estimated at $150 million, at four locations in Ashland and Lineville, Alabama; Salt Lake City, Utah; and New Holland, Pennsylvania. The company manufactures stock, semi-custom and custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets; cupboards and storage systems and employs 1,150 people.
9. Wood-Mode Inc. Wood-Mode manufactures custom and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, as well as custom cabinetry for other rooms at one location in Kreamer, PA. The company employs 1,200 people. Sales of $150 million is our estimate.
10. WW wood. Revenue of $125 million in 2017 was significantly higher. The Dudley, Missouri company manufactures kitchen and bath cabinets, millwork and moldings, custom cabinetry, cabinet doors and employs 1,000 people.
11.Leedo Mfg. The company manufactures custom and custom made kitchen cabinets, vanities, laminate, granite and quartz countertops in East Bernard and El Campo, TX.
12. Master WoodCraft Cabinetry LLC. This is a relatively new company that manufactures multi-family home cabinetry, countertops and components in Marshall and Jefferson, TX. Sales were reported at $100 million.
13. Republic Elite. The Marshall, Texas cabinet maker has reportedly merged with LDC Stone Inc., a supplier of imported countertops and cabinetry. Republic’s sales are said to be $100 million. The company manufactures kitchen and bathroom cabinets, trim, countertops and sinks in laminate and solid surface.
14. Swamp furniture. Marsh manufactures kitchen and bathroom cabinets in High Point, North Carolina. The company manufactures frameless and front frame European cabinets.
15. Showcase of wood products. Showplace manufactures custom and semi-custom kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities, Murphy Murphy beds, and provides cabinet refacing in Harrisburg and Beresford, South Dakota.
Additional information about these companies and the full list of 300 companies is also available online at http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/fdmc-300.