The cabinet market in North America continues to expand and the cabinet manufacturers in the FDMC 300 group of companies again recorded sales gains.
Some of the biggest percentage gains came from mid-size companies on the CMDF 300 list, but the larger companies also saw higher sales in 2017.
Overall, sales of the FDMC 300 group of companies increased 5.4% in 2017 from the previous year to $ 52.209 billion.
This group of the 300 largest North American manufacturers of cabinetry, woodwork, furniture and fixtures recorded a sixth consecutive year of sales expansion in 2017.
A year earlier, sales of the FDMC 300 group of companies increased 5% in 2016 to $ 48.786 billion. (We adjusted the 2017 figure to $ 51.409 billion to compare with the year before, as there were significant additions and subtractions to the list of companies.)
KCMA: cabinet sales increase by 3%
According to the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association’s Monthly Business Trend Survey, participating cabinet makers reported sales totaling $ 6.9 billion for 2017. This is an increase of 2.9% compared to 2016. In-stock sales increased by 3%; semi-personalized sales increased 3.7% and personalized sales decreased 0.3%.
KCMA also reported that December 2017 sales were up 3.9% from December 2016. For that month, stock sales increased 3%, semi-custom sales increased 6%. , 1% and personalized sales increased by 0.4% compared to December 2016.
Survey participants include stock, semi-custom, and custom companies whose combined sales represent about 70 percent of the US kitchen cabinet and bathroom furniture market.
The largest cabinet manufacturers
Here is a summary of the largest cabinet manufacturers in North America.
1. MasterBrand Cabinets. Our cabinet segment sales estimate ($ 2.450 billion) was based on reported sales for the third quarter of 2017. Final sales for 2017 were $ 2.467 million, an increase of 3% from 2016.
The company is part of Fortune Home & Security and manufactures fully assembled, semi-custom and custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets; with frameless RTA.
There are 16 manufacturing sites in total, including six legacy Norcraft sites: Newton, Kansas; Cottonwood, Minnesota; Liberty, North Carolina; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Lynchburg, Virginia; and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
2. American Woodmark. The Winchester, Virginia-based company manufactures in-stock and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets. The $ 1.03 billion figure is based on the company’s fiscal year. Sales increased 9 percent.
American Woodmark Corp. announced earlier that it has entered into a definitive agreement and plan to merge with RSI Home Products, Inc., another leading manufacturer of kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and home storage products. The acquisition would move American Woodmark from the third largest cabinet maker in the United States to the second.
3. Masco Corp. The sales estimate of $ 950 million was based on third quarter cabinet segment sales and company information. Fiscal 2017 final sales were reported in February 2018 at $ 934 million, down 4% from 2016.
The company manufactures assembled and ready-to-assemble in-stock and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets, as well as other bedroom cabinets.
Masco has eight manufacturing plants in Middlefield and Orwell, Ohio; Los Lunas, New Mexico; Culpeper and Mt. Jackson, Virginia; Wilson, Pennsylvania; Mount Sterling, Kentucky; and Duncanville, Texas.
Excluding the impact of the Moores Furniture Group divestment of Masco in the UK in the fourth quarter, net sales were down 1%. Cabinetry Products also extended their KraftMaid brand into the repair and remodel market, and at the end of the fourth quarter they began to implement a new retail program with their Cardell cabinet brand.
4. RSI. RSI was acquired by American Woodmark in December. The deal was slated for completion in 2018. RSI manufactures in-stock and semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets, in-stock and semi-custom bathroom vanities, and cultured marble countertops. RSI had estimated annual sales of $ 560 million for 2017 and 3,500 employees.
RSI had grown into one of the largest value-added cabinetry manufacturers in North America, supplying cabinetry, countertops and kitchen, bathroom, home and garage accessories to home centers, stores, and shops. builders, dealers and renovation contractors.
5. Elkay manufacturing. Cabinet brands include Mastercraft, Medallion, Schuler, Yorktowne, American, and Design-Craft. The company manufactures semi-custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets in six locations: Aurora, Colorado; Culver, Indiana; New Ulm and Waconia, Minnesota; Independence, Oregon; and Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania.
Elkay Manufacturing has announced that it will stop manufacturing cabinets at the company’s Ringgold, Va. Plant. The news follows a decision by the company to stop production of the InnerMost line of cabinets, sold exclusively at Home Depot.
6. AC products. A communication after the compilation of the 2017 FDMC 300 indicated that the company would have revenues of approximately $ 321 million, including the acquisition of Smart Cabinetry. The company operates factories in Thompsontown and Mount Union, Pa., And employs 1,000 people.
7. First groups. The company is a manufacturer and importer, and manufactures vanities and shelves for Wal-Mart. The $ 150 million in sales is our estimate.
8. Cabinet Wellborn Inc. Sales were estimated at $ 150 million, at four locations in Ashland and Lineville, Alabama; Salt Lake City, Utah; and New Holland, Pennsylvania. The company manufactures kitchen and bathroom cabinets in stock, semi-personalized and made to measure; cabinets and storage systems and employs 1,150 people.
9. Bois-Mode Inc. Wood-Mode manufactures bespoke and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinetry, as well as bespoke cabinetry for other rooms at one location in Kreamer, PA. The company employs 1,200 people. A turnover of 150 million dollars is our estimate.
10. WW wood. Revenue of $ 125 million in 2017 was significantly higher. The Dudley, Missouri company manufactures kitchen and bath cabinetry, millwork and moldings, custom cabinets, cabinet doors, and employs 1,000 people.
11. Leedo Mfg. The company manufactures in-stock and custom kitchen cabinetry, bathroom furniture, laminate, granite and quartz countertops in East Bernard and El Campo, TX.
12. Master WoodCraft Cabinetry LLC. This is a relatively new company that manufactures cabinetry for multi-family homes, countertops, and components in Marshall and Jefferson, TX. Sales were reported at $ 100 million.
13. Elite of the Republic. The Marshall, Texas cabinet maker is said to have merged with LDC Stone Inc., a supplier of imported countertops and cabinets. Republic’s sales were $ 100 million. The company manufactures kitchen and bathroom cabinets, moldings, countertops and sinks in laminate and solid surface.
14. Swamp furniture. Marsh manufactures kitchen and bathroom cabinets in High Point, North Carolina. The company manufactures both frameless and front frame European cabinets.
15. Showcase wood products. Showplace manufactures custom and semi-custom kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities, Murphy wall beds and provides cabinet resurfacing in Harrisburg and Beresford, South Dakota.
Additional information on these companies and the complete list of the 300 companies is also online at http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/fdmc-300.